Genuinely connecting with buyers: There's more to it than a handshake and smile. Superficial is no longer sufficient.
So how can a seller succeed in connecting with buyers? After all, sellers are busy people -- time is precious, quotas are looming, and buyers aren't always welcoming and amenable to making immediate connections.
At a minimum, at all times, a seller should know the following to improve in connecting with buyers:
- What the buyer’s top priority is within their buying role.
- What the buyer is motivated by in his or her personal life.
- What the buyer values about the seller’s product.
- What the buyer values about the seller and the seller’s company.
- What recent changes may influence what is valued.
To anticipate what a prospect or new buyer might value, a seller should be mindful of these factors:
- What is the buyer’s job title and what do people with this job title usually focus on most?
- What is the buyer responsible for delivering and to whom?
- How will the buyer’s performance be measured?
- What is the buyer’s history with the seller’s company?
- What is personally important to the buyer?
What NOT to Do in Your Efforts at Connecting with Buyers
A seller should not, however, make assumptions based on these factors. These are starting points so a seller can begin probing with a clear focus. Any assumptions made based on these factors could backfire. In practice, the seller would have some preliminary ideas based on these factors and would ask strategic questions designed to check assumptions and provide a greater depth of understanding.
- To learn more about DISCOVER Questions® and how to get connected in meaningful ways with your buyers, order your copy of this bestseller from Amazon.com
- When you need sales or management coaching, customized sales training, or a dynamic speaker call us at 408-779-PFPS or book an appointment with Deb.
- Check out these resources for sales managers and front line sellers. New webinars, infographics, research, podcasts and more added every month!
The award-winning CONNECT2Sell Blog is for professional sellers who believe, as we do, that Every Sale Starts with a Connection.
Deb Calvert, “DISCOVER Questions® Get You Connected” author and Top 50 Sales Influencer, is President of People First Productivity Solutions, a UC Berkeley instructor, and a former Sales/Training Director of a Fortune 500 media company. She speaks and writes about the Stop Selling & Start Leading movement and offers sales training, coaching and consulting as well as leadership development programs. She is certified as an executive and sales coach by the ICF and is a Certified Master of The Leadership Challenge®. Deb has worked in every sector and in 14 countries to build leadership capacity, team effectiveness and sales productivity with a “people first” approach.